Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 23 14 4:49 AM

Tags : :

Those of you who are graphically inclined and want to take a stab at designing menus and backgrounds for the Blu Ray discs should email me at [email protected]

I'll be able to give you access to hires graphics and templates; you'll need Photoshop.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jan 24 14 4:40 AM

Is this open for general suggestions? One idea I've had for the menu is to make it look like as if the viewer was hacking into Genom's systems and the episodes are actually archived security camera footage.
I wonder if BD-Java allows to display the current time/date from the player's settings and then replace the year with 2033.

--
BGC Early Adopter Premium
Time never betrays dreams. But dreams must not betray time.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jan 27 14 2:11 PM

I would very much like to join that group too, but my schedule might not allow it at the moment.
Though I do have one suggestion, in Episode 6 there is a really nice rotating graphic of Priss's hardsuit, which might make a nice menu element.

Last Edited By: Deruji Jan 27 14 2:18 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 31 14 11:46 AM

Not joining the group, for various reasons. Mainly because I wouldn't know what to do.

However, as a suggestion of sorts (don't know if this is the right place for it, sorry), I'd ask to keep the menus pretty basic, putting ease of use, speed and clarity at the top of the list.

To give examples of what I mean, let's look at a bad DVD/BluRay menu. You pop the disc in to watch, I dunno, episode 6 of something.
First you have 3 minutes of unskipable trailers for other animes I don't care about. After that you get to the menus which are a pain in the arse because stuff is haphazardly strewn about the screen, so you have to use trial and error to work out how to get to the episode you want. The controls are of course unresponcive due to the looping animated background being to short and thus is keep hitching every time it goes back around. Once you click, you have to wait for an animation to play of flying through a space ship, monitors slide into view or whatever. And when you finally get to the thing you want, whoever decided to make the DVD/BluRay decided it would be a good idea to have a 5-10 second clip montage showing you the best bits of the thing you are trying to watch.

So yeah, I'd be happy with a list of episodes down the left side, and maybe an extras and setup submenu where applicable, in blod text in front of a static image. It would be preferable to trying to be all fancy and cool, but making a mess of it, imo.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jan 31 14 3:44 PM

As this is a custom limited edition, everything will be done for the convenience of the backers.

I personally hate unskippable stuff, for example. So there won't be any. Menu will take you to the menu, because life is short.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Feb 1 14 9:05 AM

I don't mind the usual Copyright and Agerestriction warnings, as long as it goes straight to the menus afterwards or I just have to press skip once.

By the way, with BDs the background animation is usually independent of the menu, so navigation should not be affected by the looping animation. From BDs I've tested at work, we usually have an opening animation that goes into the main loop, then the main loop gets repeated indefinitely. The menus usually work immediately.

Suggestion for the popup menu, since there'll be black space on the sides of the screen, perhaps that space could be used to accomodate the menu items and leave the center viewing space free.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 3 14 7:13 AM

Steps:

* Insert Disk

* Copyright, logo, and "nice people who paid extra so you'll know they're nice people" screens. As many buttons as possible move you direct to the menu.

* Menu to select episode

* Episode.

If possible I'll make it so that pressing a number key starts playing that episode directly if it is on the disc. I'll have to check to find out if that is possible.

We've thought about using the sidebars for the popup menu, it's a possibility but we have to make allowances for overscan so we may not have enough room to keep everything in there.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Feb 7 14 6:09 PM

The background video track can have audio, of course. It is apparently possible to animate buttons with sound effects but it may not be worth it.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#10 [url]

Feb 8 14 2:02 AM

madoverlord wrote:
It is apparently possible to animate buttons with sound effects but it may not be worth it.
Funimation does it frequently. With it, it's possible to navigate around without necessarily looking directly at the screen all the time. Makes it feel a little less disconnected.
For navigating things, you can make stuff open automatically when you hover over them (remote/mouse) or open on "click".
I dislike BD menus that force to use the keyboard (no mouse support).

--

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Mar 1 14 9:20 AM

I know this is going to sound silly, but when selecting an episode to be played, can we get an audio clip of Sylia saying "Knight Sabers! Sanjou!" before the episode starts to play?

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Mar 2 14 12:01 AM

madoverlord wrote:
Hahahahaaa! Seriously, that would be funny the first time you heard it, amusing the 5th time, and by the 20th time, you'd be flying to Wilmington to kill me.

lol You're probably right..smiley: roll

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Mar 11 14 2:37 PM

madoverlord wrote:
Hahahahaaa! Seriously, that would be funny the first time you heard it, amusing the 5th time, and by the 20th time, you'd be flying to Wilmington to kill me.

Isn't there an option for having an option for that? Like having a menu for choosing the sub language an additional menu choice for stuff like that?

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Mar 12 14 6:03 AM

Uzi wrote:
madoverlord wrote:

Isn't there an option for having an option for that? Like having a menu for choosing the sub language an additional menu choice for stuff like that?

"Menu Sounds On/Off?" Never seen that done in any commercial release.

--

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Mar 12 14 1:46 PM

ComSR wrote:

Meaning no disrespect, but it's actually quite common - especially when studios use a consistent template. If you have any films in your collection released by Universal Studios, check your menus. The buttons make sounds which are easily toggled off/on.

So this is my first post...sure was an exciting one, eh? :D

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Mar 20 14 3:52 PM

Deathstalker II wrote:

ComSR wrote:

Meaning no disrespect, but it's actually quite common - especially when studios use a consistent template. If you have any films in your collection released by Universal Studios, check your menus. The buttons make sounds which are easily toggled off/on.So this is my first post...sure was an exciting one, eh? :D

But will it be your last? Anyway, if that's possible, let's do that.
It's still true that none of the BDs I have include that option.

--

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help