Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 27 13 10:10 AM

Tags : :

Hey everyone, and Robert. :)

So, in Robert's original post, he mentioned the possibility of including (or at least, doing at some point) a new HD transfer of the 3-part OAV "AD Police Files." This is by far my favorite part of the BGC canon, so I'm really anxious to see it included, along with recut music videos of Lou Bonnevie's amazing pop songs.

One additional bonus for its release would be including the Manga UK dub -- their version has better acting but some very weird adaptation choices, and while I always cringe when they call the robots "voomers," I really do enjoy both versions. I'm curious to know just how much more funds we need to raise to make this happen, and also take the temperature of others here, to see how many people want this.

And if possible, I'd like to raise my voice in support of including isolated English songs for BGC, either on CD or an isolated audio track. I realize that most of them aren't fully recorded, but having a version of the English "Say Yes" unmolested by sound effects and dialogue would be pretty great.

Last Edited By: jsevakis Oct 27 13 10:12 AM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Oct 27 13 4:44 PM

Just using very rough off-the-top-of-my-head numbers, I'd say we'd need to get to $100k+ to have enough to do ADP. Having the Manga UK dub as an option would definitely be possible, and I'd like to be able to provide the music without the effects mix -- but that may require additional licenses.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Oct 28 13 5:09 PM

I'd like to see the AD Police Files OVAs as well; I'm not sure how many others are interested, but hopefully the necessary funding and support is there to enable it being a part of the release. I also saw someone in the Kickstarter comments mention Scramble Wars, and the idea at least wasn't rejected outright. Would that be something that could be feasibly added to the release (or is it a longshot, perhaps even impossible)?

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Oct 28 13 8:48 PM

Thanks for giving a rough estimate Robert. After BGC itself a HD transfer of AD Police is what I'm most interested in and have been waiting for just this information. If this seems likely to happen I will be increasing my pledge. 

Justin's suggestions of the UK dub and isolated english songs are interesting and also something i'd be for. 

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Oct 31 13 2:22 PM

I think AD Police is a must while Scramble Wars would be a nice "if we could, lets" type of item. For completionist sake, I would want Crash too so I am curious what is up with that and what it would take to get it. 

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Nov 1 13 6:22 AM

JGwinn1048 wrote:
I think AD Police is a must while Scramble Wars would be a nice "if we could, lets" type of item. For completionist sake, I would want Crash too so I am curious what is up with that and what it would take to get it.

-That's my feeling as well, AD Police and Crash, If we can include them, then after that a new dub for at least Crisis (Which we would need to hit at least the $200k mark to be a possibility)

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Nov 3 13 6:16 AM

I'd have to do some research to find out about Scramble Wars... and like AD Police it would require a new HD telecine.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

Nov 8 13 11:50 AM

Is the ADP manga available? (I believe Viz had licensed it way back then, but I don't know if they still have it.)

I believe there was also some other random BGC and ADP manga, some of which was never translated to English. The Bubblegum Crisis FAQ lists it. If you could get that and put it in a pdf....

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Nov 8 13 12:21 PM

Is there the possibility of including Scramble Wars in SD if costs/sources don't allow for HD, considering it has never had a release on disc? I think that would be worthwhile in itself.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Nov 9 13 4:08 AM

madoverlord wrote:
That's actually an intriguing idea... Thanks
For SD only content, please give them a progressive AVC encode (720p?). The result should be better than DVD because there won't be any compression or interlacing artifacts.

--
BGC Early Adopter Premium
Time never betrays dreams. But dreams must not betray time.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Nov 9 13 8:31 PM

Series5Ranger

JGwinn1048 wrote:I think AD Police is a must while Scramble Wars would be a nice "if we could, lets" type of item. For completionist sake, I would want Crash too so I am curious what is up with that and what it would take to get it.

-That's my feeling as well, AD Police and Crash, If we can include them, then after that a new dub for at least Crisis (Which we would need to hit at least the $200k mark to be a possibility)

My own order of preference for the extras is (from most important to least important)
AD Police > Crash > Scramble Wars > any new dub

I've read on the forum that Crash "probably" will "not" be included, and on the Kickstarter page itself in the FAQ it is stated that "for a variety of reasons, we cannot make the same commitment about Bubblegum Crash [as we can about AD Police] at this time." Have been wondering for a while about the specifics of that holdup (apologies in advance if it's already explained in greater detail elsewhere).

Also,

ComSR
madoverlordThat's actually an intriguing idea... Thanks
For SD only content, please give them a progressive AVC encode (720p?). The result should be better than DVD because there won't be any compression or interlacing artifacts.

AGREED!  Just because the material is SD doesn't mean its only encode option is MPEG-2.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Nov 10 13 1:59 AM

InquiringMind wrote:
My own order of preference for the extras is (from most important to least important)
AD Police > Crash > Scramble Wars > any new dub

I've read on the forum that Crash "probably" will "not" be included, and on the Kickstarter page itself in the FAQ it is stated that "for a variety of reasons, we cannot make the same commitment about Bubblegum Crash [as we can about AD Police] at this time." Have been wondering for a while about the specifics of that holdup (apologies in advance if it's already explained in greater detail elsewhere).

I agree with this, though I would place Crash ahead of AD Police, if needed I would also make another pledge for that. Unrealistically, the addition of the BGC pen & paper books would also be welcomed^^

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Nov 10 13 5:21 PM

JGwinn1048 wrote:

I'm the opposite. Scramble Wars is the must, because it was packaged with an obvious Gall Force short. I'm not sure how much of the BGC audience back in the day caught on, or ever saw it at all. Now's their chance.

Besides, SW has that *classic* shot of Sylia Stingray, cackling wildy as she hangs out the window of the Silky Doll Wagon, flipping Priss the bird. You *can't* pass on that!

SDDF also had a piece with Michie Tomizawa giving a tour of the studio (although that was GF heavy), and the voice actresses recording a song related to SW (the VAs comment about a signboard that says "Scramble Wars Troupe"). If the tour isn't suitable, maybe the recording session might be, if SW is included too

oldowlJeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Nov 11 13 8:16 AM

Realistically, if we hit $150k -- and KEEP IN MIND this is me pulling numbers out of my well-educated ass -- the surplus budget (both basic and premium combined) is going to be about $20k. Assuming the licensor is OK with adding SW, it's going to mean going to a 3rd BD... the extra cost of making >2k of those, changes to the packaging, extra authoring, yaddayadda, maybe $7500.00. The actual work of getting SW from our current tape transfer to HD, doing the subtitles and encoding, that's <$1k.

The 3rd BD opens up a lot of possibilities though -- moving the music videos onto it, creating new music videos, Scramble Wars, the audio dramas, the data archive on physical media, and increasing the bit rate on the OVAs. So it's looking like that is going to have to happen. I'll get started costing that out more precisely.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Nov 11 13 10:48 AM

madoverlord wrote:
Realistically, if we hit $150k -- and KEEP IN MIND this is me pulling numbers out of my well-educated ass -- the surplus budget (both basic and premium combined) is going to be about $20k. Assuming the licensor is OK with adding SW, it's going to mean going to a 3rd BD... the extra cost of making >2k of those, changes to the packaging, extra authoring, yaddayadda, maybe $7500.00. The actual work of getting SW from our current tape transfer to HD, doing the subtitles and encoding, that's <$1k.

The 3rd BD opens up a lot of possibilities though -- moving the music videos onto it, creating new music videos, Scramble Wars, the audio dramas, the data archive on physical media, and increasing the bit rate on the OVAs. So it's looking like that is going to have to happen. I'll get started costing that out more precisely.

When you've done your number crunching, I hope you share the results as a KS Update. If something's just not going to be possible, given the current financial situation, let folks know so they can move on to other things and quit beating the dead equine. I'd love to see things get to $150K in the next week, but I'm doubtful we'll come all that close unless everyone starts increasing their pledge amounts (with or without changing their tiers). A case of you get what you're able and/or willing to pay for.

oldowlJeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help