Remove this ad

Unrelated to BGC, but relevant to AnimEigo and Kickstarter...

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

Lead

Oct 29 13 6:40 PM

Tags : :

Seeing how the BGC kickstarter already seems like a great success, do you think they would be able and willing to do more kickstarters for old licenses (or possibly new)? I'm just really itching to see Kimagure Orange Road and it's movie finale re-released maybe with a Blu-Ray remaster and new dub, etc. I haven't gotten to see it because I was rather young at the time the DVDs came out and hardly knew about anime as a medium and the Western market for it, but I hear it is a classic and would gladly pay top dollar to support a project for it. Some of the DVDs are OOP and are all about 10 years old, so acquiring them today seems like it might be an endeavour. Anyways, what are everyone else's thoughts on this?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Oct 29 13 7:06 PM

The things needed to take into account are:

1. Does the rights holder want to give AnimEigo Permission to do a Special Edition BD set for the Series / OVAs / Movies / Special? (Threw the Special out there, since there is one)

2. Is there an HD transfer available to make it worthwhile to put the series on BD?

3. Is there enough support to possibly do a Kickstarter for it?

That's the main issues right there, Having everything KOR - wise besides the special (Never licensed for over here) Unless the HD transfer was really really good, not so sure I'd upgrade my DVDs.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Oct 29 13 7:10 PM

It might be too early for Animeigo to start considering what their next project would be; they've just reached their goal for Bubblegum Crisis, after all (and I'm hoping that they'll be able to add at least AD Police Files to it). That being said, I would be delighted to see a KOR BD release (perhaps even including the second movie as well, which I rather liked). I'd also love to see some Urusei Yatsura; the TV series might be a bit much (although I'd love for it to get a BD release), but even the movies and/or OVAs would be nice to have on BD. And of course, there are all the other classic shows out there that would be nice to see here in the U.S. for the first time.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Oct 29 13 9:17 PM

I'm right there with Glorian. I would gladly buy a complete Kimagure Orange Road Blu-ray set. Urusei Yatsura would seem to be untenable as a complete set, but the movies and OVAs alone would be fantastic. I wish AnimEigo had grown and remained an anime translation powerhouse when the industry boomed, but they certainly did a fine job of picking up classic titles back in the day.

-Paul Acevedo
 Games Editor, Mobile Nations

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Oct 29 13 9:51 PM

There are no Blu-rays in Japan yet for any of Kimagure Orange Road so no HD materials are available until it's released over there.

About Urusei Yatsura, I think Viz recently mentioned that they may be looking into re-releasing it and Maison Ikkoku on Blu-ray probably depending on how well their upcoming Ranma 1/2 Blu-rays perform. Only the TV series is being released on Blu-ray in Japan at the moment, there's nothing on the movies and OVAs yet.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Nov 2 13 2:23 PM

I would vote for original season of SDF Macross.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Nov 2 13 3:15 PM

I surprised there is not a request/suggestion thread. I am sure everybody has a title they would love to see in HD.

Mine would be the 70's Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers TV series which from I can tell is available on BD in japan but from what little I have seen of it the pq is suspect. Another would be the 70's Galaxy Express 999 film and TV series. There was also a anime who's name I cannot remember, it had a holographic concert with a female singer, a Macross title maybe?

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Nov 2 13 4:08 PM

Another would be the 70's Galaxy Express 999 film and TV series. There was also a anime who's name I cannot remember, it had a holographic concert with a female singer, a Macross title maybe

Discotek has released the GE999 movies on DVD. It's up to them to do BD. First part of the TV series was released by another company, but it was bootleg grade quality and the second part was cancelled.
The show you're describing is Macross Plus. Manga Ent holds the rights.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Nov 12 13 9:55 AM

Rather late, but yeah, I would totally support someone picking up the Touch Blu-Rays. I had my eye on the imports because they seemed relatively cheaper than most Blu-Ray collections in Japan (but still a whopping $300-ish/set). I'm halfway through the series and loving it.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Nov 12 13 12:41 PM

uther9 wrote:
I surprised there is not a request/suggestion thread. I am sure everybody has a title they would love to see in HD.

Mine would be the 70's Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers TV series which from I can tell is available on BD in japan but from what little I have seen of it the pq is suspect. Another would be the 70's Galaxy Express 999 film and TV series. There was also a anime who's name I cannot remember, it had a holographic concert with a female singer, a Macross title maybe?

I have the Yamato Remaster. The video looks darn good.

The 999 films were put on BD in Japan. They butchered the video. And Discotek picked the movies up for DVD release in the USA. All three movies, the last, Eternal Fantasy, I never thought would get a US release.

I also own the entire run of the GE999 series on R2 DVD (the limited box set versions). PQ on them is fantastic, but I'm pretty sure they added film grain to it. And the GE999 TV series is getting the Blu Ray treatment in Japan starting March of next year. It'll be "cleaned up," so we'll see what that looks like. I have all the boxsets for this ordered from Amazon Japan. If the first 2 are truly horrible, I'll just cancel the other 2 preorders and list the 2 I bought on eBay.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Nov 12 13 12:45 PM

ComSR wrote:
Discotek has released the GE999 movies on DVD. It's up to them to do BD. First part of the TV series was released by another company, but it was bootleg grade quality and the second part was cancelled.
The show you're describing is Macross Plus. Manga Ent holds the rights.

Actually, calling it bootleg quality is doing bootlegs an injustice. What they did, is they didn't bother to negotiate with Toei, notoriously a big pain in the ass to negotiate with to begin with, for anything other than video they had that already had subtitles... meaning what they put on DVD was exactly, including the compression issues and digital farts, what was to be had, for FREE, streaming via FUNimation and others (Crunchy Roll, etc). It was an insult, even at the bargain price they gave for the first 40 episodes.

I wrote the currently highest ranked Amazon review for the box:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1RKDZ99NCB51M/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B008H1Q4X6&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

I wouldn't wish the release on my worst enemy. I was completely ecstatic when I heard it was getting a US release on DVD. Was skeptical when I found out it was S'More, then totally and completely crushed when I received it and it was complete poop.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Dec 7 13 8:02 AM

uther9 wrote:

Mine would be the 70's Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers TV series which from I can tell is available on BD in japan but from what little I have seen of it the pq is suspect.

Problem with the Original Space Battleship Yamato, is who has the rights and how much do they want? I mean look at Yamato: 2199, If they couldn't get Sentai or Funimation to license it, they are either asking too much for it, or want them to make changes that neither want to do , or a combination of both.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Dec 8 13 1:24 PM

Series5Ranger wrote:

uther9 wrote:I surprised there is not a request/suggestion thread. I am sure everybody has a title they would love to see in HD.

Mine would be the 70's Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers TV series which from I can tell is available on BD in japan but from what little I have seen of it the pq is suspect.

Problem with the Original Space Battleship Yamato, is who has the rights and how much do they want? I mean look at Yamato: 2199, If they couldn't get Sentai or Funimation to license it, they are either asking too much for it, or want them to make changes that neither want to do , or a combination of both.

Yeah, with Yamato I'm pretty sure we'd be talking about MS Gundam levels of overvalued licensing fees. Even with decades having passed since original release, there's all kinds of company pride and cultural nostalgia factors that make several old series impractical to release state side. Sometimes the companies just refuse to go less than what they think the show should be worth.  *cough* legend of the galactic heroes *cough*

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jan 7 14 12:25 AM

chronoclast wrote:
There are no Blu-rays in Japan yet for any of Kimagure Orange Road so no HD materials are available until it's released over there.

It's not always dependent on whether a Japanese studio has done an HD master; there are some instances of European countries getting there first. Yamato Video in Italy did a nice Blu-ray for Venus Wars (whose HD master served as the basis for Discotek's DVD), and Kazé in France did a nice job on their HD transfer for Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie.

no sleep. can't sleep. i'm full of apathy.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Feb 23 14 6:23 AM

I think we know who has the rights. The same people who put out the Starblazers DVDs, Voyager. Voyager is a US shell company for the Japanese parent company.

And that being said, everyone should check out Starblazers 2199:

http://starblazers.com/shopping/

It's actually just the Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Blu Ray set but called Starblazers 2199.

I have the Japanese BDs (that have subtitles in English for the shows proper) and it's easily one of the best Sci-Fi shows in a long time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help