Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 24 13 8:43 PM

Tags : :

It's been mentioned by Robert on the Kickstarter page that he's been working on the shows credits, and showed and example of combining the Japanese credits and the English credits on the same screen. 

I personally prefer to leave leave the screen alone when the Japanese credits are on, and if need be have the English translation of the credits once the show is finished,and that includeds the Japanese ending credits.

Just a thought.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Nov 24 13 9:05 PM

I definitely don't want the English credits on the side with the frame moved like in Robert's example. One annoyance with doing that I haven't seen mentioned yet would be for those of us that own plasma TVs when the original credits' frame would move over into the black bar area after watching an episode, there would be a ghost of the black bar visible due to image retention.

Leaving the original Japanese credits alone and having an English credit scroll afterwards would be my preference. I'd also be okay with the credits being soft subtitled but I'd rather have a separate credit scroll.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Nov 24 13 11:22 PM

I would agree, this would be a jarring switch in the credits while watching and it is a form of editing from what the original picture looked like. The original Remastered DVD set had it just right - soft subs over the Japanese Text. That worked fantastically! Reinventing the wheel doesn't make sense. The only way this would work is if you used branching so selecting the proper settings would give a viewer their choice. Since Robert has now posted that isn't happening, then it isn't fair to put a gun to backers heads that wanted (and BELIEVED) to get an untouched, intact, unaltered release that we be changing something that doesn't have to change. This creates conflict when it didn't need to happen. If we are not going to have a release that will cater to both camps with branching then it shouldn't happen at all and the tried and true method would work. Otherwise, it is being forced upon a segment that would really have no choice in the matter. If anything, such an adjustment can be included on each BD for those episodes as appeared in the edited ending credits that can be clicked on. During regular playback of the episode, you offer soft subtitles like with the Remastered DVD Set or a credit roll like Sentai or CPM with the translated text with a black screen. This would be the most logical method to handling the issue so everyone is happy without folks that want an altered release to get up in arms - especially with the subtitles camp folks getting covered for both versions of the release.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 25 13 2:48 AM

JGwinn1048 wrote:
I would agree, this would be a jarring switch in the credits while watching and it is a form of editing from what the original picture looked like. The original Remastered DVD set had it just right - soft subs over the Japanese Text.

I was going to type the same thing. Thank you for that. :)
Also consider the situation where one has a 4:3 display and uses zoom to view the content in true 4:3. But if you shift the video to the side, that wouldn't work properly anymore.

--
BGC Early Adopter Premium
Time never betrays dreams. But dreams must not betray time.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 25 13 4:43 AM

I would prefer either a post-credits English scroll or subtitles. Shifting the video over is a neat idea, but it just doesn't sit well with me.

no sleep. can't sleep. i'm full of apathy.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Nov 25 13 5:17 AM

Don't worry guys, I am going to do test runs of several possible styles before I settle on something.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Nov 25 13 9:34 AM

I liked the subtitle over lay from the original, except, I mean let's face it, DVD subtitles are ass ugly almost universally.

That all changed, supposedly, with Blu Ray, so maybe we can leave the titles as they were, but make them prettier?

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Nov 25 13 2:10 PM

DVD subtitles are 2-bits per pixel, so you get transparent/surround/colorA/colorB, and there are limitations on when you can change the colors. Amusingly, the original AnimEigo subtitling hardware was 2-bits per pixel as well.

BD subtitles give you 32 bits per pixel including transparency, though only 256 different pixel values can be selected per frame (ie: a color table of 32 bit values). In practice, this lets you do nice anti-aliased subtitles. Amusingly, the second AnimEigo subtitling hardware setup used a 256 element lookup table of 24 bit values (no transparency).

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Nov 25 13 9:21 PM

Would there be a way to have English translations of the JPN credits (with the English staff) over a creditless version of the each different ending like FUNimation does with the majority of their releases? Mind you - I don't mean replace the current JPN credits, just show this edited version after the original roll so that we can see all of the English/Japanese staff that worked on the show in English with the same backgrounds/music.

This would allow everyone to be happy, and would also let us see the English cast + staff lined up with their characters/positions as well as the Japanese cast + staff lined up with their characters/positions. I would really enjoy this as it is annoying to have a either a blank scrawl with no images/music after the original JPN credits, or when actors are either not credited to the correct roles or not at all. We want to be able to see everyone who worked on this project and not leave anyone out!

The only reason why I bring this up is because I've seen many anime companies do this in the past: like Geneon, ADV, and now Sentai Filmworks. Sentai Filmworks being the worst where they pump their releases out so fast that sometimes they leave entire actors and staff off the final retail release of some of their shows.

I'm sure this won't be a problem with this release - it's just something that has bothered me with some anime releases over the years.

Last Edited By: NotSure Nov 25 13 9:24 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Nov 26 13 5:20 AM

The problem is that in the old days, titles were done on film, so the background elements often were not available. If they are static, then it's possible to reconstruct them, but if they are moving, then things get... difficult.

The alternative is to put the translated titles up against a different background. I'm playing with a version of this in my test run of BGC2 and will run it by you guys soon.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Nov 28 13 1:56 PM

slerch666 wrote:
I liked the subtitle over lay from the original, except, I mean let's face it, DVD subtitles are ass ugly almost universally.

That all changed, supposedly, with Blu Ray, so maybe we can leave the titles as they were, but make them prettier?

Funimation usually uses the textless opening and ending and overlays the credits over those

Sentai just runs the original Japanese opening and ending, then does a Credits scroll at the end, Since we probably don't have a clean opening and ending to use, I'd say do it Sentai Filmworks style.

Last Edited By: Series5Ranger Nov 28 13 1:59 PM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help