Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Nov 25 13 5:17 PM

UchuuIs there an image of the coin or a concept image that could be posted so I know what I'm potentially giving up?

Overall, unless the coin is truly something unique and special I'd give it up in favour of extra content or better bit rates.

No, we haven't designed it yet.  There is a link on the Kickstarter page to the Google image search of Challenge Coins.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#43 [url]

Nov 25 13 6:27 PM

madoverlordYes, I did figure it out. And no, you don't want to know. One big problem with a new dub is that the original Japanese M&E tapes have been lost, so that track would have to be totally reconstructed.

Blah. That is a hell of a game changer. imageGame over for the dub, it would seem. Incidentally though, if you ever do a write-up of this whole project for the sake of posterity like with the Secret History of AnimEigo, please do include the figures. Nerds, such as myself, have research interest in such things on the backend of production.

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Nov 25 13 7:32 PM

This are my other funding thoughts,

1) Dubs - I don't really care for them and they cost more money than their worth.
2) Subs - As long as there is English I'm happy. Since I'm from Canada I can say that there would be people I know who'd be interested in a French as well.
3) Bit rate - Best possible video quality you can put on the discs.
4) Digital Omake Archive on the disc - personally I prefer it to be accessed online instead of on disc
5) Add additional program content - please
6) Add backer-contributed materials - I disapprove of this, I'd prefer the content that I have on the discs to be official/original. If you want to accessible an archive of fan stuff that is available online by all means, I just don't want to have it on the discs.
7) Original music videos i.e. no fan created or edited videos.
8) Please include AD Police and if possible Bubblegum Crash

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Nov 25 13 8:16 PM

88bam1Robert mention many times their is not enough money  to add AD Police and  Bubblegum Crash to this set.

I'm going by whats been stated on the Kickstarter page.  It does say there it is an option.

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Nov 25 13 8:56 PM

Doc Nutron
UchuuIs there an image of the coin or a concept image that could be posted so I know what I'm potentially giving up?

Overall, unless the coin is truly something unique and special I'd give it up in favour of extra content or better bit rates.

No, we haven't designed it yet.  There is a link on the Kickstarter page to the Google image search of Challenge Coins.

I've put together an extremely basic version of what I think might look good for the Challenge Coin as a part of the Production subforum - all discussion on what it should look like and the design should go there.

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Nov 25 13 8:58 PM

GOA
madoverlordYes, I did figure it out. And no, you don't want to know. One big problem with a new dub is that the original Japanese M&E tapes have been lost, so that track would have to be totally reconstructed.

Blah. That is a hell of a game changer. imageGame over for the dub, it would seem. Incidentally though, if you ever do a write-up of this whole project for the sake of posterity like with the Secret History of AnimEigo, please do include the figures. Nerds, such as myself, have research interest in such things on the backend of production.

Just comparing the original AnimEigo dub and the original JPN you can tell they were missing a bunch of sound effects back then too - doesn't help that the English dub is also considerably more muffled and downplayed when it comes to music than the original track - is there any way we can improve the fidelity of the english track so that the music sounds more in line with the JPN track - or would that require the original music/SE files to do that?

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Nov 25 13 9:02 PM

Uchuu
88bam1Robert mention many times their is not enough money  to add AD Police and  Bubblegum Crash to this set.

I'm going by whats been stated on the Kickstarter page.  It does say there it is an option.

Unfortunately, since AD Police OVAs doesn't have an HD Master (and there is not enough extra budget to make it happen) and Bubblegum Crash is still in the middle of possible approval - these options do not seem very likely at all. I'm still holding out for a possible Bubblegum Crash, but I think it might be better to just hold a Kickstarter sometime after this one is all over and done with to combine all the remaining loose ends for the series.

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Nov 25 13 9:06 PM

madoverlordThe CD is probably something that would be possible, depending on licensing issues. But since the Japanese CDs have been available for years, is that really a good use for the budget?

I would be interested in the CD idea if the licensing costs are within budget.  A lot of things I'd like to see for this set are related to the media associated with it.  Beyond the actual episodes, I would imagine this would include things like the soundtrack, maybe inserts with the cover art from earlier releases, some people have suggested drama cassettes and comics that had been released.  All of these things are appealing to me.  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Nov 25 13 10:31 PM

Coins, Discs, and initial thoughts...

I'm with a lot of the others here, the coin is nice in principle but I have a strong feeling I'll look at it once or twice and then never look at it again; I picked the 25% level for that reason.  I did pick the 3 disc option though, not sure what could go on it yet but it would be nice to have.

One thought I did have is that it would be nice to have a BD-ROM portion on the 3rd disc which contains a set of iTunes compatible video files with selectable subtitle / language tracks, it'd love to be able to add the show to my iTunes library and watch it on my iPad or my AppleTV.  To save space we could even put on the Standard-Def files, the entire series probably wouldn't take more than a 2-4 gigs.  Perhaps throw in an MP3 directory with the soundtrack album or even the music videos in an iTunes compatible format.

Then again as far as the soundtrack goes, and stated earlier in the thread, its apparently been available for some time - any chance AnimEigo could import it for resale?

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Nov 25 13 10:42 PM

With the confirmation of a third disc, I still say we hold off with regards to the coin. I think it'd be a neat item to have, but I think the budget could be better used for other items in the set. If it looks like we have some funds later to play with, then maybe we could revisit it, or if it's offered as an add on as has been suggested. I'm the kind of fan who will keep it safe in the packaging and rarely (if ever) remove it, but it is a very unique BGC item and certainly one that our Japanese counterparts do not have (and therefore, is special to us! They've always got neat stuff).

Also, since this thread's kinda turning into a general suggestion of other budgetary possibilities, lemme toss a few quick comments: The soundtracks to the series are beyond awesome, but they are available elsewhere and I think the budget could be allocated to other areas. I like the idea of the post cards (and I think Robert commented that they wouldn't be a huge budget hit), and I also think it'd be cool for a mini-poster or something, maybe like a concert poster, or an AD Police citation or an ad for the Silky Doll or something along those lines (provided that it wouldn't be a drastic on the budget). I know this stuff kinda falls into the same category as the coin, so really, it depends on how much it costs (for my vote, anyway). Since the chance of a re-dub is (sadly!) out the window, I think we would should prioritize 1: on disc content, 2: packaging and then 3: additional physical items.

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Nov 26 13 12:37 AM

Coin Issue

I have absolutely no interest in the coin, no matter how pretty.  A third disc can mean so much more to this edition and make it kickarse.  However, for those collectors out there they should be able to get the coin if they put a pledge for it; how you could make that financially viable I have no idea.  But I can't wait to fill out the survey when it arrives and I'm sure I'll be needing a lot of whiteout, so to speak....

peace

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Nov 26 13 1:49 AM

Why don't we do a Kickstarter to improve the blue ray set aka a Kickstarter to add AD Police Files to the bubble gum crisis blue ray set and then discuss the budget?

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Nov 26 13 3:29 AM

If were going to talk about kickstarters for adding more stuff mabye do that for the dub also(include more sets as a part of that obviously. Give it about a month or two given that some of us need time to recoup our wallets. That way 100 percent is going to the production end minus the kickstarter fee's. I do think that at least AD police would get added (Given the delay talks with crash work that out first) then last include a redubbing of each as set goals after that. Just a shot in the dark mind you but id put another 80 odd bucks down the line if we got ADP Crash and a new dub in the mix.

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Nov 26 13 2:30 PM

I would gladly give up the coin, which I thought was a stupid gimmick anyway, for content, or for something such as the third disk that allows more content. The coin is reminiscent of the bad old days of the anime boom before 2010 when companies would put anything from beach balls to fake blood bags in their DVD sets.

However, CDs (or MP3s of the songs that were on CD) are probably a bad idea. I already have a Japanese CD set and I'm pretty sure I'm far from the only fan who got one.

On the other hand, it's unlikely that many fans already have Scramble Wars on shiny disk, translated audio dramas, translated manga, or most of the other things that have been suggested (except maybe the Adam Warren comic).

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Nov 26 13 2:42 PM

Ken Arromdee wrote:
I would gladly give up the coin, which I thought was a stupid gimmick anyway, for content, or for something such as the third disk that allows more content. The coin is reminiscent of the bad old days of the anime boom before 2010 when companies would put anything from beach balls to fake blood bags in their DVD sets.

However, CDs (or MP3s of the songs that were on CD) are probably a bad idea. I already have a Japanese CD set and I'm pretty sure I'm far from the only fan who got one.

On the other hand, it's unlikely that many fans already have Scramble Wars on shiny disk, translated audio dramas, translated manga, or most of the other things that have been suggested (except maybe the Adam Warren comic).

You just reminded me, that for anything we can get translated, we should also have the option to have access to the original language version (drama, manga etc.).

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Nov 26 13 9:43 PM

Ken Arromdee wrote:

Well, I don't own the soundtrack any more (though I once did) and I would still like another copy.

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Nov 27 13 9:18 AM

Zebra pants galore!

Little hard to parse in the form of a thread, with interstitial add-ons.  In future threads it may make sense to edit Post #1 to include a good sum-up of things being talked about. 

As I replied to on the survey, I will easily give up the coin to go into the general budget.  (Even if it is cheap enough and becomes interesting enough to add in down the line.)  I place the 3rd disc's importance quite high.  Not as much for higher bitrate (though it would be lovely to see the kind of math being talked about) so much as every bit of extra show and fandom footage that can be obtained.  

I think for one, it's important to emphasize the community, and what kinds of projects can be safely brought back to light by direct-funding through Kickstarter or other platforms.  It's also something I think AnimEigo is uniquely positioned to appreciate and deliver.  You were as "back in the day" as I can remember, and always delivered more of what I loved and could discover about anime, through quality of subtitling, packaging, liner notes, and everything else.  Obviously better-quality episodes is also to be encouraged, but for me not so much at the expense of other interesting opportunities.  

Also, I vote that this music video should be re-created, starring the AnimEigo staff and any music video patrons:     

Not just recut in HD...  re-cast and refilmed!  We want to see fun and plenty of embarrassment, hairspray, and zebra pants!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help