Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 25 13 7:14 PM

Tags : :

What are the chances of including a digital copy of the Adam Warren Bubblegum Crisis Grand Mal comics that came out back in 1994? Obviously there'd be licensing and whatnot to work out, but I think this could be an interesting bonus feature.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Dec 6 13 1:19 PM

Adam is quite willing, but there is an issue: there are no digital files remaining, so the issues would have to be rescanned from film and touched up, and one of them needs to be recovered from an ancient coloring program called TintPrep.

The recovery cost would be about $5000. When you add a modest fee for Mr. Warren and the costs of renegotiating a license for this, we are talking $7500 to include it.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Dec 7 13 9:14 AM

I'm interested in the comic too. Would be cool if it happened.

-Paul Acevedo
 Games Editor, Mobile Nations

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Dec 7 13 11:42 AM

madoverlord wrote:
Adam is quite willing, but there is an issue: there are no digital files remaining, so the issues would have to be rescanned from film and touched up, and one of them needs to be recovered from an ancient coloring program called TintPrep.

The recovery cost would be about $5000. When you add a modest fee for Mr. Warren and the costs of renegotiating a license for this, we are talking $7500 to include it.
What if it was possible to obtain pre-existing scans from another source? Would that be acceptable at all, and if yes - would it reduce the costs?

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Dec 8 13 2:49 PM

Assuming moire is a non-issue or can be handled?

A few years ago I've scanned the paperback edition for my own use, never got around to cropping and cleaning anything after first eight or nine pages... and last week found the files still on one of my HDDs.
So there's that if it's of any use.

(forgot to note: scanned at 600 DPI, after edits scaled to 300 DPI)

Last Edited By: TheFifthHorseman Dec 9 13 1:03 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Dec 9 13 2:41 PM

In the real world, people have to make tradeoffs. Yeah, it would suck to know that there are higher quality files out there we couldn't afford to get--but the BGC RPG is $4900 and I would much rather use scanned files instead of digital source, free up $5000, and spend it to put the RPG in--scanned comics+RPG beats out digital source comics+no RPG.

Or maybe instead the $5000 would fund part of the B-Club Special. I'd certainly rather have, for instance, scanned comics and a fully translated B-Club Special to digital source comics and untranslated B-Club special (or not getting all the B-Club Specials, or whatever.)

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Dec 9 13 4:27 PM

Ken Arromdee wrote:
In the real world, people have to make tradeoffs. Yeah, it would suck to know that there are higher quality files out there we couldn't afford to get--but the BGC RPG is $4900 and I would much rather use scanned files instead of digital source, free up $5000, and spend it to put the RPG in--scanned comics+RPG beats out digital source comics+no RPG.

Or maybe instead the $5000 would fund part of the B-Club Special. I'd certainly rather have, for instance, scanned comics and a fully translated B-Club Special to digital source comics and untranslated B-Club special (or not getting all the B-Club Specials, or whatever.)

More things starting to look realistic, and are being accompanied by some cost estimates.  I think this is starting to reach that tipping point where voting becomes very interesting.  

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Dec 9 13 7:15 PM

Yes, if it turns out that we can choose between various price/quality tradeoffs, then there will be voting options for all of them, and how you rank and interleave the various options becomes very interesting.

I will be releasing the raw (anonymized) ballots so interested people can "run the election". I learned a lot about the subtleties of election systems when I pushed to reform the EVE Online Council of Stellar Management elections. I wonder if people will start campaigning for their "candidates"...

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Dec 11 13 10:25 AM

So this is something I would support, IF there wasn't anything else I'd want to cast my vote for. I like the idea, but wouldn't commit until everything is on the table.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help