Remove this ad

Logistics & Budgetary Impact of Additional Language Subtitle Tracks

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

#21 [url]

Dec 2 13 1:35 PM

KithKanan: thank you very much.

Deruji: well, that would be really helpful. About time-frames, at the present time we don't know precisely when we will get to begin, so it's no problem. Actually, we don't even know *if* we'll ever begin... I guess we will need the backers' approval about budget allocation first.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Dec 2 13 2:11 PM

Riccardo wrote:
KithKanan: thank you very much.

Deruji: well, that would be really helpful. About time-frames, at the present time we don't know precisely when we will get to begin, so it's no problem. Actually, we don't even know *if* we'll ever begin... I guess we will need the backers' approval about budget allocation first.

We can at least get everything ready, so that if we do, we can start right away. I'm looking forward to what we can achieve.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Dec 2 13 5:28 PM

I would suggest that as soon as I finalize the timing on BGC 1, any team that is interested in doing a localization should go ahead and take a stab at doing the episode. It will give you a good idea if you can truly deliver, and I'll be able to evaluate your work (if not your translation!) and make a recommendation regarding the voting.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Dec 3 13 6:01 AM

Robert: no problem about that.

I wouldn't really want to sound nagging, but I'd really love to have a transcription of episode one in time... Deruji, shouldn't those Japanese subtitles pop out, would it be possible to ask your friends whether they can (and want) write down the dialogues for us? So if we get a complete 'No' we would still be able to look for alternatives (doing that now would just mean overlapping a thousand things and creating a fuss). Sorry for bothering you.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Dec 3 13 8:49 AM

@Robert: Thanks, mch appreciated.

@Riccardo: I'm already working on transcribing episodes as far as I can and contacted some of the Japanese students. At the latest I'll definitely know by the beginning of next week. If we do get the subtitles from the DVD then I can do a quick check with the dialog.

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Dec 12 13 2:26 AM

I would like to help with the PT-BR (Brazilian Portuguese) translation, whether it be as a translator or just as an editor/cleaner... though I'll only be able to work from January 15th on. Holidays and all, I hope you understand...

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Dec 12 13 7:36 AM

We should have BGC 1 (English) locked down in a few days, then I'll be able to provide it to people who want to try translations. If you haven't already, email me so we can get the legal niceties handled.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Dec 13 13 5:53 PM

Since I just found out there is one, motion to find someone to do Lithuanian subtitles for the one true anime fan in Lithuania. :p

Also: Investigating routes to obtain a Klingon subtitle track translation team. Will report findings.

Last Edited By: GOA Dec 13 13 5:58 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Dec 13 13 11:33 PM

GOA wrote:
Since I just found out there is one, motion to find someone to do Lithuanian subtitles for the one true anime fan in Lithuania. :p

Also: Investigating routes to obtain a Klingon subtitle track translation team. Will report findings.

To be fair, I think I'd rather have that Japanese language track before Klingon :)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#32 [url]

Dec 14 13 4:28 AM

Japanese language subtitles might be an issue because we're not licensed to sell in Japan. Romaji titles, maybe.

@Ketsura: it would be better if you could find someone who also knows Japanese, going J -> E -> Portuguese would raise the risk of translation errors. Generally I would like to see a team of 2-3 people working on each language.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Dec 14 13 5:48 AM

Having the subtitles doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be sold in Japan I think.

I have the transcriptions almost half done, I'll make them available asap.

For the record, I absolutely detest romaji tracks, the worst invention and interpretation of Japanese, ever.
I have the french Takarajima DVDs with romaji and it is absolutely awfull and painfull to read. Original language all the way.

Last Edited By: Deruji Dec 14 13 5:53 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Dec 14 13 8:50 AM

Deruji wrote:
Having the subtitles doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be sold in Japan I think..

As I've explained before, it's a reverse-importation issue. The licensor doesn't want the product to be more appealing to the Japanese. While it cannot be directly shipped to Japan, there are still ways for it to get in.
Nor I would accept having a crippled product of because of certain features.

--
BGC Early Adopter Premium
Time never betrays dreams. But dreams must not betray time.

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Dec 14 13 8:39 PM

Deruji wrote:

For the record, I absolutely detest romaji tracks, the worst invention and interpretation of Japanese, ever.

Oh yeah, there should be no roman phonetization of Japanese characters and words. If you don't know how to read Japanese characters, you just can't write or pronounce Japanese words. Terrific idea. ;)

-Paul Acevedo
 Games Editor, Mobile Nations

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Dec 15 13 1:18 AM

eastx wrote:
Deruji wrote:

Oh yeah, there should be no roman phonetization of Japanese characters and words. If you don't know how to read Japanese characters, you just can't write or pronounce Japanese words. Terrific idea. ;)

That's why they have furigana for above the kanji. And most people that are interested in learning Japanese know how to read hiragana and katakana at least.
Having everything in romaji does not really help, it's like writing English in phonetic script only worse. Since there are so many homonyms in the language, not reading it in the original makes it very frustrating to understand what is actually meant. If you just want to know what the text means, read the translation.
This is not meant to offend anyone interested in reading it.
I study Japanese at university, this is something that we tell all our new students.

Last Edited By: Deruji Dec 15 13 1:23 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Dec 18 13 1:57 PM

Not that I want to derail this thread, but there's nothing particularly wrong with romanji. While it isn't necessary to learning the Japanese language, it can be helpful to a lot of people--especially beginners (here's a decent essay on the subject: http://j-rant.dreamwidth.org/tag/romaji?style=light).

More importantly, the issue is flagging over reverse importation anyway. While I'm not actively opposed to including a full Japanese script subtitle track, I will be if it poses possible problems to the end product.

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Dec 18 13 4:25 PM

GOA wrote:
Not that I want to derail this thread, but there's nothing particularly wrong with romanji. While it isn't necessary to learning the Japanese language, it can be helpful to a lot of people--especially beginners (here's a decent essay on the subject: http://j-rant.dream width.org/tag/romaji?style=light).

More importantly, the issue is flagging over reverse importation anyway. While I'm not actively opposed to including a full Japanese script subtitle track, I will be if it poses possible problems to the end product.

There are some interesting points in the essay, although it does highlight certain aspects that aren't correctly applied. I'd rather not go further into this either, if anyone wants to, they can feel free to pm me about Japanese studies.

Anyways, just as a note to learners, I think these points become mute if you're listening to the Japanese audio and follow the Subtitles, you'll already hear the pronounciation and can see to what it belongs to.

Well, I'm looking forward to what the final product will have in store either way.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Dec 20 13 2:14 PM

Hi, here a little update on the transcriptions for our translation teams:

Episode 1 - complete;
Episode 2 - complete;
Episode 3 - complete;
Episode 4 - 1st Draft;
Episode 5 - 1st Draft;
Episode 6 - 1st Draft;
Episode 7 - 1st Draft;
Episode 8 - 1st Draft from script; needs proofing with audio

Last Edited By: Deruji Dec 23 13 8:27 AM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help