Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Oct 28 13 5:45 PM

Silky Dolls, FTW!!!!1!

@ Boobo: nice cases, it would be even better if the case encompassed AD Police, BGC, and BGCrash.

I second Leon's suggestion of a Silky Dolls themed case and will put both of my votes on that!!! 8-]

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Oct 28 13 9:13 PM

Personally I'm not a big fan of packaging like Steelbooks, paper-backed fold-out trays or god forbid, anything without a hub. I prefer standard BD keepcases, they are generally more robust and easier to replace. If you want to get fancy, use a different color plastic and make a box or sleeve to house all of them.

I'm not completely against non-standard packaging, it mostly depends on how many discs are in the final product and pack in goods. If it's just the two proposed discs than a Steelbook does seem more "special" than a keepcase or 2. No matter the type of packaging, I would greatly prefer something that doesn't stack or offset overlap discs.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Oct 28 13 10:02 PM

I vote for Blu-ray height, as thin as possible, and no foldout/paper packaging. SteelBook would be awesome too, but I won't get my hopes up too high on that.

-Paul Acevedo
 Games Editor, Mobile Nations

Last Edited By: eastx Oct 28 13 10:31 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Oct 28 13 10:16 PM

Someone on the reply thread in the Kickstarter suggested those steel sleeves that Paul Champagne makes. I wanted to drop it here. It's minimally intrusive on shelf space, can be made to fit extras packaged outside of a standard blu-ray box, and allows for the series itself to just be in a standard replaceable blu-ray box. But they're also ~$30 for consumers to purchase, not sure how expensive it would be.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Oct 28 13 11:43 PM

VermiliononeSomeone on the reply thread in the Kickstarter suggested those steel sleeves that Paul Champagne makes. I wanted to drop it here. It's minimally intrusive on shelf space, can be made to fit extras packaged outside of a standard blu-ray box, and allows for the series itself to just be in a standard replaceable blu-ray box. But they're also ~$30 for consumers to purchase, not sure how expensive it would be.

As I recall, even among the ones that were official, the amount done never hit the numbers the Kickstarter is already at, because Paul couldn't make them that fast, even with the delays a few of those boxes got that ended up being sold officially.

If metal boxes were going to be done it would almost certainly have to be a steelbook, or one of it's competitors, which to my understanding, aren't nearly to the quality of the steelbooks (I can't say, as I don't own any of other brands, but people always seem disappointed whenever they get what the other main brand is.)

Last Edited By: MarcFBR Oct 28 13 11:53 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Nov 25 13 9:42 AM

Does anyone have contact with Paul? Can we request he change his horribly horrible website with a design that doesn't make me want to shoot myself?

I actually provided the artwork to Paul for the Kaleido Star set he made a few years ago for the original ADV release of the series.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Nov 25 13 3:47 PM

Please go back to printed liner notes.

They were always something that set AnimEigo releases apart, and I was sad to see them go (particularly since the discs with on-disc liner notes also had no liner notes posted to your website like you did for the earlier notes).

On-disc notes are much better than nothing, but you can't read them while you're watching the scene in question so they aren't as nice as they could be.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Nov 25 13 3:52 PM

I'm all for Kith's suggestion of printed liner notes. 

While being able to access the information via the disc isn't a bad option, I always found it nice to have something to either glance at or read while watching something or having it on pause.  Especially when additional information is required for a specific scene in general. 

There's nothing more frustrating than having to stop what you're watching to go skimming through menus to pull up the information necessary, and then go back to playing it.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Nov 25 13 7:28 PM

I'm on-board with printed liner notes. Would be a nice touch, in addition to being convenient.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Nov 25 13 10:47 PM

nice cases, it would be even better if the case encompassed AD Police, BGC, and BGCrash.

This would be a neat idea for the next set.  Put the current set in a standard Blu-Ray package with some nice artwork on the cover and some nifty printed liner notes.  Then in the future if they're able to do Crash and AD Police as a Kickstarter they could offer a unique collectors box large enough to hold both sets.

I don't need some fancy case on my shelf, I'm looking at you Battlestar Galactica: Original Series with the giant Cylon Head sticking out of the front of the box that I can't put on my shelf with my other DVDs, but a nice Blu-Ray in a standard case with the option of a cardboard slipcover down the road - I could get behind that.

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Nov 30 13 5:50 PM

GOA wrote:
I'm on-board with printed liner notes. Would be a nice touch, in addition to being convenient.

If we print them to look like a Genom products brochure, that would be even better....... (But I'm cool with them being on the disc)

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Dec 9 13 4:14 PM

Series5Ranger wrote:

GOA wrote:I'm on-board with printed liner notes. Would be a nice touch, in addition to being convenient.

If we print them to look like a Genom products brochure, that would be even better....... (But I'm cool with them being on the disc)

I would third some printed liner notes but I would be happy if they're on the disc if costs do not allow.

"The film of tomorrow will resemble the person who made it, and the number of spectators will be proportional to the number of friends the director has."
- François Truffaut

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Dec 9 13 7:09 PM

We dropped the printed liner notes when they started costing more to print than the DVDs cost to replicate. We could price it out but it may be out of reach, and it will certainly be out-of-date relatively quickly.

IMHO, as an old-school old-fart, html/pdf is a far superior delivery format. It's easy to back up, you can print it if you really want, and you can put it on a tablet which you can read in the dark and change the font size (trust me, as you get older, you appreciate this!). Also, you get color printing for free.

The wiki software we are using has the nice feature that it's totally file-based, and you can make a HTML snapshot of it at any time. And archive.org will automatically make backup copies, just in case I get hit by a truck while carrying my laptop containing the wiki source, my house that has the backups catches fire, and the animeigo.com webhost explodes.

And of course, it's easy to put it on the Blu-Ray, and there will be a Data Archive image that you can burn onto DVDR.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Dec 12 13 7:30 AM

I can look into it, but the authoring costs may not make it worthwhile. As I've said before, I'm a big fan of the idea of having something that works well on a tablet, because they're damned convenient as reference materials during viewing.

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Dec 12 13 8:25 AM

Cases

I like unique cases, such as the "helmet" cases for Iron Man, Transformers, Terminator, etc. The "USS Enterprise" ship for the Chris Pine reboot is cool...the BDs go INSIDE the saucer section! Yes, these may not conform to the rest of your BDs or fit the shelf easily, but they're unique and cool.

Steelbooks and the copycats are getting played out and are NOT unique or cool anymore. When everyone has it = not unique, not cool, not special, just NOT.

Definitely do NOT use the case like the recently released Robotech: The Complete Set..20 dvds stacked on top of one another on the insides of the covers/back and on two "pages" in the middle. The plastic tabs holding the "pages" so that they can be "turned" like a book are weak and already broke in shipment to me.

Individual BD cases within a beautifully decorated box is fine by me, like the recently released Gatchaman: Complete Collection on blu-ray.

But I wouldn't object to four "helmet" cases of Priss, Linna, Nene and Sylia.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Feb 20 14 1:45 PM

blaizevincent wrote:
The chipboard Aniplex Limited editions are very nice. They aren't too big and everything is easily to get at. I also like the idea of more BD cases rather than shoving them all in to a single case. Again much like the AoA sets.

Here are my suggestions -

- 2 Clear BD cases with a single BD in each (assuming this is a 2 disc set for only BGC mirroring Japan) 
- Clear BD cases to maximize the exposure of any artwork.
- Chipboard box with a matte finish
- An Envelope for the Postcards rather than just clear plastic
- small Blu ray sized artbook full of any and all of the liner notes (as much as the PDF versions is cool, I would like this much more if possible)

Hi guys, new premium backer here (who was overjoyed to find I could still invest due to being unemployed at the time of the Kickstarter) apologies if things have already been decided - I wasn't certain from looking around where things were up to with regards to decision making / production yet.

The above sounds almost perfect to me - If a book proves too expensive I can understand and the colour of the Blu-ray cases isn't such a big deal to me, but this sounds a lot like the Japanese BD release (pics included below) which should I think be the standard to aim for, if not improve on. The hard case with amarays inside is a great starting point, but I'm really not a fan of that gradiant fill border / background. I'm sure we can pull something off a lot classier than that.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

May 27 14 2:11 PM

I think the logo looks ok, the font could certainly be tweaked or if there's some other wholly different ideas I'd be open to thatas well (not sold one way or the other). What I don't like is the way the font looks when placed vertically on the spine, it's hard to articulate what's wrong with it but it just seems awkward to my eyes.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help