Remove this ad

Lead

Dec 3 13 12:55 AM

Tags : :

Would it possible to produce new commentary or interviews for this set either by AnimEigo staff, Japan or the fans backing this project?

(I made this separate topic to give it better attention)

--
BGC Early Adopter Premium
Time never betrays dreams. But dreams must not betray time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Dec 3 13 3:01 AM

We might be able to do some interviews with some of the original Japanese staff, to add to the ones we already have. Whether there is enough time to do it, and whether we should impose upon the time of the interview subjects, is another question.

I think the first step would be identifying what interviews are most valuable.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Dec 3 13 2:31 PM

What about audio commentary tracks for all 8 episodes by you, Robert?

Also, I'd like to throw in a suggestion for interviews with the English cast, singers, and production crew, which might be easier to do than the Japanese folks.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Dec 3 13 4:53 PM

Tuxedo Mark wrote:
What about audio commentary tracks for all 8 episodes by you, Robert?

This makes the entirely unwarranted assumption that I have something interesting to say. :P

It might be a much more interesting idea to find some people who really are experts on BGC and have them do some commentaries.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Dec 7 13 7:15 AM

Commentaries would be great if you could find an anime historian who knows the series well.  The commentaries by published kaiju experts that were included on the Classic Media Godzilla DVDs were among the best features on those releases.  In fact, I would hold up those DVDs as a generally great example of a release tailored for the enthusiast.

As for interviews, hopefully enough time has passed for people involved in the production to be honest about it.  I've noticed that Japanese film/anime crew in particular tend to talk about their work in vague generalities, never getting to the nitty gritty.  I don't know if that's a cultural thing or if their employers are strangling the opinions they're allowed to voice publicly.  The Alien Anthology set is a great example of a collection of interviews that really dig into what it was like to work on those productions, on-set tension and behind the scenes back-stabbing included.  That's the level of insight I'd hope for from an Ultimate Edition.

If you can't access production staff for interviews, other options could include narrated biographies/filmographies of the crew.  Another alternative I'd find interesting would be a featurette about the cyberpunk movement in general, charting its inception, influences, key works in different media and countries, and its lesser known examples.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

Dec 7 13 8:41 AM

Well, keep in mind that the Anime production community is a pretty close-knit one; that plus Japan's culture of politeness leads to people not airing petty differences.

I've had big creative differences with people in the past, but I've never seen any upside in discussing them in public.

The idea of getting an anime historian to do a commentary track is a good one. Since you brought it up, why don't you go do the research and see who might be a good choice? (This is going to become, I think, my standard reply to these kinds of suggestions: "great idea, go do something about it.")

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Dec 7 13 1:43 PM

madoverlord wrote:
The idea of getting an anime historian to do a commentary track is a good one. Since you brought it up, why don't you go do the research and see who might be a good choice? (This is going to become, I think, my standard reply to these kinds of suggestions: "great idea, go do something about it.")

Jonathan Clements comes to mind.  He's been a significant figure in the UK anime scene since the 90s, including translation work, writing books on anime history, and a lot besides.  He's also done a few DVD commentary tracks before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Clements
http://www.muramasaindustries.com/

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Dec 11 13 6:28 AM

I'd suggest Gerald Rathkolb and/or Daryl Surat from the anime world order podcast for a guest commentary track. They not only know their stuff but have a great appreciation for bgc and the late 80s era. I did a long segment with them on BGC on EP 75 of their podcast a few years back

Ryan Gavigan

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Dec 11 13 10:29 AM

Would it make sense to maybe figure out a way to get all the candidates' names, decide a budget then I don't know... get them all on a Skype call (or whatever we would need for good quality) and record them, all together for a single commentary? This would allow them to feed off one another and hopefully give us a much richer experience.

I would love to recommend someone, but my Anime love started in the late 90s (well, early 80s if you count a kid who had no clue Robotech, Tranzor Z and Voltron were Japanese...) and I just enjoy the stuff, I don't bother trying to find people who know a ton.

Not sure, but would the Ask John guy from Anime Nation be a candidate? His is the only name I can come up with, and I have no idea if he's been a fan long enough or if he'd even be interested.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jan 3 14 3:05 AM

They should also talk about the Streets of Fire influence, since usually only Blade Runner is mentioned.
Check out the intro to Streets of Fire, you'll know what I mean

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jan 3 14 3:43 PM

Something tell me whatever happens were going nowhere fast.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help