Remove this ad

BGC Ultimate Edition Crowdproduction Decision Preview (Preview of Project Update)

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

Lead

Feb 4 14 2:26 PM

Tags : :

This is a preview of an update that is going to go out in about a week, which describes all the current options for using the Surplus Budget. I welcome your comments and suggestions.

I would appreciate it if you would test the voting interface, which you can find here: https://www.animeigo.com/products/anime/bubblegum-crisis-ultimate-edition/production-poll

You can use the test Secret Codes PREMIUMBACKER123 and BASICBACKER12345 to see how things change depending on what your account status is.

Current Status:

A steady stream of new backers have been signing up since the end of the KickStarter campaign. As of late January, we have 2268 backers who have ordered 2323 copies of the Ultimate Edition. Of these, 510 are Premium Units and 1813 are Basic Units.

As everyone knows, we had a vote earlier where you overwhelmingly chose to add a third BD50 disc to the set. That used up a fair chunk of the Surplus Budget, but at present we still have a Surplus Basic Budget of $2,250 and a Surplus Premium Budget of $10,122 to allocate.

How The Voting Will Work:

Below are listed all the potential options that we could spend the Budgets on. Everyone will be able to rank all the various options listed below, even if they have a price-tag that exceeds the current Surplus Basic Budget.

In addition, whenever it makes sense, Premium Backers will be able to vote on whether an option should be made available to everyone, or just to Premium Backers.

For example, Premium Backers can vote spend $1,425 to add an "O-Card" sleeve *only* to the Premium Set, and they can spend an extra $504 to add it to the Basic Set as well (it's cheap to add because of economies of scale; see below for more details on that).

Options will be selected in the order that they are ranked, assuming there is money in the budget to cover them. In cases where the Basic and Premium Backers both want the same thing, the budget cost will be allocated equally between them. Where it gets a little complicated is when the two groups differ on priorities, but basically what I intend to do is iterate to maximize the number of options that get selected.

Example: imagine that the Basic Backer's top priority was the R Talsorian RPG Book, but that was the 5th priority of the Premium Backers. Initially, the $1500 cost of the RPG books would come entirely from the Basic Budget, but if there was still funds left in the Premium Budget when we got down to that item, then some of the Premium Budget would be used for the books, which would restore funds to the Basic Budget, and trigger a recalculation. Thank goodness for spreadsheets!

Options:

Please note that we cannot 100% guarantee that some of these options can be done; while we have preliminary approval from the licensor in most cases, there may be unanticipated complications. If so, I'll recalculate and adjust. Similarly, as more backers sign up, the budgets will increase, and more options might get added right up until the time we "go to press". In addition, as other parts of the budget firm up or if some additional economies emerge, there may be scope for adding things. Thus, when voting, don't worry about the cost of something, rank them based on how important you think they are -- or more precisely, by how much "bang for the buck" you think they provide to you.

German Subtitles - $500
Italian Subtitles - $500
Finnish Subtitles - $500
Japanese Kanji Subtitles (requires licensor approval) - $500

PDF: R Talsorian BGC RPG Book (BGC MegaTokyo 2033) - $1500

PDF: R Talsorian BGC RPG Book Set (BGC MegaTokyo 2033, BGC: Before and After and AD Police) - $3000

Note: one possible side-effect of including the R Talsorian Books is that they may provide additional graphic materials for the Data Archive part of the set!

PDF: Bubblegum Crisis Grand Mal Comic Book - $6500. These will be scanned from the original production materials and should be very high-quality; much better than scans of the original comics.

45-min Commentary Track by Mike Pondsmith of R. Talsorian Games - $900

Embroidered BGC Patch - $2244 for Premium Backers only, $10,220 for everyone. (This is a very rough cost; final cost will likely be lower once I can better estimate shipping impacts. Requires licensor approval)

Challenge Coin Upgrade (from 1.5" up to 7 colors on each side (example:http://www.challengecoinsrus.com/wp-content/themes/ccrus/images/coinpricing/coinpricing2_large.jpg), to 2" pure metallic (example:http://www.challengecoinsrus.com/wp-content/themes/ccrus/images/coinpricing/coinpricing6_large.jpg)) - $500

Packaging Options:

Packaging options are a bit more complex, because basically the minimum quantity you can order is 1000 units. Since we currently need to make 510 Premium Units (plus a few extra in case stuff gets lost/damaged in the mail), if the Premium Backers want exclusive packaging that's just for them, it more or less costs them twice as much per unit. On the flip side, the extra "generosity cost" of improving the packaging for everyone is relatively low -- and if the Basic Backers decide they want the same packaging option, they'd pick up some of the cost, reducing the per-unit cost for the Premium Backers (at the cost of exclusivity!).

I have created a spreadsheet that calculates the various packaging option costs and (for the Premium backers) the cost of being altruistic and providing better packaging to the Basic Backers. You can find it here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArYXIrFol4SqdE5uUzRfeGhGTWloYU9kWlo2eUp2OGc&usp=sharing

The "Baseline Packaging" is a standard Blue Amaray Case with an internal 2-disc tray, so it can hold the 3 discs in the set. The options are:

OBI - a paper ring that wraps around the package; often used on Japanese discs.

O-Card - a sleeve that the Amaray slides into that is open on top and bottom.

Slipcase - like an O-Card, but closed on all but one edge; the Amaray case comes out sideways.

Chipboard - a hard case, sturdier than a slipcase.

3 Single Amaray - 3 Amaray cases, each with a single BD 50 inside, plus chipboard case.

I am currently in the process of getting quotes for additional options; in particular, for a slipcase/chipboard box with 3 thinline (6mm thick) cases. I should have these in a few days.

Last Edited By: madoverlord Feb 5 14 1:07 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Feb 4 14 10:21 PM

I would say something I suggested in the previous discussion: Given the high cost of full restorations of the BGC comics, there should be an option for normal scans. Yes, normal scans aren't as good as full restorations from the original materials, but if saving the money means being able to add another feature, it's also true that not having the other feature isn't as good as having the other feature. If there's a choice between normal scans+something else, and perfect scans+nothing else, I'm sure many people would pick normal scans.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 5 14 7:33 AM

Ares wrote:
Have we figured out if we will be able to include AD Police Files or how much extra it would cost to do?
Pretty much the cost would be prohibitive - cited as another $60000 or so. You'd have to convince 2/3rd of the Basic backers to upgrade to Premium.
Ken Arromdee wrote:
I would say something I suggested in the previous discussion: Given the high cost of full restorations of the BGC comics, there should be an option for normal scans. Yes, normal scans aren't as good as full restorations from the original materials, but if saving the money means being able to add another feature, it's also true that not having the other feature isn't as good as having the other feature. If there's a choice between normal scans+something else, and perfect scans+nothing else, I'm sure many people would pick normal scans.
Agreed. As mentioned there are pre-existing scans available and IMO there is little effective difference between those and ultra-high-quality perfectly restored original images (hey, comics were meant for reading, and I don't believe Grand Mal warrants spending 2/3rd of the budget on).
Deruji wrote:
I think it's mostly the licensing costs that makes them expensive, since they need to be relicensed for use
The licensing costs are between $1500 and $2500. $5000 was cited as the cost of recovering ultra-high-quality scans from film and digital data from an obsolete coloring tool, cf: http://animeigo.yuku.com/sreply/997/
madoverlord wrote:
Adam is quite willing, but there is an issue: there are no digital files remaining, so the issues would have to be rescanned from film and touched up, and one of them needs to be recovered from an ancient coloring program called TintPrep.

The recovery cost would be about $5000. When you add a modest fee for Mr. Warren and the costs of renegotiating a license for this, we are talking $7500 to include it.

Last Edited By: TheFifthHorseman Feb 5 14 4:19 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Feb 7 14 10:09 AM

I played around with the poll and didn't find any technical issues, but did get confused with the $0 options in there.

Is it possible to remove those and explain in the text that these two items are the baseline and folks can upgrade from there? I *think* you'd still get the results you're after.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Feb 7 14 12:33 PM

No chance of getting new Japanese creator or cast interviews? :{ That would have been my dream extra.

What about the Soldier Blue drama CD (plus translation), ideally included as an extra on the BDs in order to save costs manufacturing another disc?

Probably not even remotely feasible to see scanned & translated B-Club Specials, I imagine? (or at least scans/translations of the Soldier Blue mini-story [w/ pictures] from the Crash B-Club Special; a translation exists online supposedly credited to R. Talsorian Games, but I've never found it hidden within any official English product

Edit: OT - What's with the .animegamersforum tacked onto my username?  lol, wasn't that Synch-Point's old forum...?  weird...

Last Edited By: Spoofer Feb 7 14 12:36 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Feb 7 14 6:13 PM

@thelonepig: Let me think about that a bit. I definitely want people to be able to rank things even if they have 0 or negative cost, because it is important to know whether "keep it simple" is more preferred than a fancier option in certain edge situations.

@Spoofer: None of the options you mention are feasible, alas.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Feb 8 14 1:24 AM

Spoofer wrote:
Edit: OT - What's with the .animegamersforum tacked onto my username?  lol, wasn't that Synch-Point's old forum...?  weird...

Synch-Point used Ezboard?

--
BGC Early Adopter Premium
Time never betrays dreams. But dreams must not betray time.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Feb 8 14 8:21 PM

Polls

Tested both Premium and Basic. Everything seemed to work fine.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help